Jargon: an industry’s way of making you think that what they do is really complicated.
Here’s a partial list of some corporate jargon:
- SBU – strategic business underwear
- actionable – movies like the Terminator, Batman, the Matrix, etc.
- conflict resolution – resolving issues through armed force
- best practices – the kind that end with a shout of, “Goooo team!” followed by milk and cookies
- CEO – chief executioner officer
- competitive advantage – performance-enhancing substances
- milestones – large stones carried for a mile as a business-related punishment
- MNC – multi-nautilus company
- downsize – what to do when you have no idea how to fix things
- rightsize – the same as downsize (!)
- monetization – selling off office furniture, appliances, etc.
Know some jargon of your own?